Today’s recipe comes all the way from missionaries in Pakistan. This delightfully saucy chicken curry is packed with deep flavors and spices that all meld together to create a warm, nutty taste. And unlike many Pakistani dishes, this one isn’t super spicy, making it a great introduction to the country’s cuisine. If you enjoy flavorful food that does not singe your tastebuds, you’ll love this chicken curry!
As you cook, take some time to pray for fellow believers in Pakistan. In this part of the world, Christians experience extreme persecution. Churches are often vandalized and Christians can be beaten and forced to convert under threats to their lives. In this predominantly extremist Muslim culture, sharing the Gospel can lead to violent consequences for evangelists and their families.
Because of this, Christians in this region need a lot of prayer. Ask God to give missionaries favor with local officials. Pray that believers will be protected from violence. Pray that they will have courage to share the Gospel with their friends and family. For more ways to pray, check out Operation World’s website.[vimeo url=”https://vimeo.com/391001797/1a60be712a”]
- 1 pound boneless chicken
- 2 teaspoon poppy seed soaked in a small amount of warm water, then strained
- 4–5 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1” peeled fresh ginger
- 2 fresh green peppers, with seeds removed
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground dry coriander
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground almonds
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
1. Place strained poppy seed, whole garlic, grated fresh ginger, green peppers, tomatoes and yogurt into a blender and grind into a smooth puree.
2. Place dry spices (cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper) in a small dish and set aside.
3. Heat oil in heavy saucepan and add blender mixture.
4. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5–10 minutes until sauce begins to thicken and oil begins to separate. Stir as needed.
5. Add chicken pieces and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir as needed. Should simmer on low heat.
6. Add dry spices to chicken mixture and simmer another 10 minutes.
7. Add ground almonds and mix in.
8. Add cream. Reduce heat and stir. (Note: Do not let the mixture boil once the cream is added.).
9. Sprinkle cilantro leaves on top and serve.
You can share Christ in countries throughout the Middle East. Discover opportunities in IT, youth ministry, counseling and more!