Our vision is to lay a firm foundation for an evangelical church so that God may be glorified through the establishment of a solid, growing body of believers. Our hope is that this church will become a solid Japanese congregation with a national pastor, and will eventually become a mother church.
Missionaries working in this initiative:
Murray and Kathy Trim
This initiative is located in Suma-ku, Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture, near the western edge of the Osaka-Kobe Metropolis.
We aim at developing a visible presence in our immediate neighborhood area in order to draw many Japanese into community with the core group of believers in our church. We use conversational English classes for both children and adults and host what we call “English Cafe” nearly monthly. We also work to build relationships though concerts, craft and cooking classes and scrapbooking events. Individually, we seek to meet locals and draw them into our “sphere of influence” by involvement in activities we enjoy like tennis, water aerobics, and working out at the sports club. We are especially excited about new opportunities God has given us through teaching a few hours per week at a local junior/senior high school.
In addition to our Sunday worship service, we have an assortment of Bible studies each week, both in Japanese and English. Some are geared toward seekers and younger Christians. Others are aimed at those more mature in their faith. We seek to disciple church members, helping them develop into maturing believers who will become leaders in the church.
With God’s help and blessing, we hope to see our vision realized through activities such as:
- Weekly worship services for people of all ages
- Sunday school for younger children during the latter part of the worship service
- Cooperation with other churches in holding larger events and outreach
- Conversational English classes
- Monthly English Café
- Friendship evangelism
- Bible studies in both English and Japanese
- Concerts and other special events
- Encouraging the involvement of all believers in the life of the church
- Building up believers in their spiritual lives and gifts in a family-supportive environment
- Providing resources or introductions to people in need of extra support
- Mentoring future church leaders
- Welcoming and mentoring short-term missionaries