Our focus is a east asian Buddhist community living in a remote area of this region. We are currently based in a metropolitan area while we are pursuing language acquisition and building work opportunities aimed at entering the target area, using business, education, and medical approaches. The position is intended for those considering long-term work in this area with a vision of reaching this minority with the good news and eventually seeing the body planted and growing vibrantly among them.
There is an initial phase of language and cultural acquisition that is expected to last at least 4 or more years, depending on aptitude and the role that the individual expects to play within the overall team strategy. During this initial phase, relationships and contacts will develop that should be the springboard for developing future work in the target area.
Once this initial phase is finished, depending on the individual’s background, a work or research visa will be pursued either in:
1. The medical field – a local provincial level hospital is interested in hiring those with needed skills and experience to develop their medical skills and services. Future opportunities to work and reside in the target area are still being explored.
2. Business – One family on the team is developing a premium ice cream business aimed at providing access to and residence in the target area.
3. Education – Teaching English as a second language is a recognized need in the region and may provide a work visa in the target area for qualified individuals.
4. In specific cases an academic research visa may be pursued to deepen linguistic and cultural understanding of the target group in preparation for serving in translation, informal theological education of local believers in the target area, or other areas needing theological training and expertise.
This opportunity will be available beginning in the Fall of 2013 at the earliest, due to timing of home assignments among the two families on this team.
Educational Background (minimum of one of these areas of specialization):
1. Bachelor’s degree with a major or concentration in business.
2. Medical professional such as nurse, doctor, or other allied health professional with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
3. Master’s degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) or a bachelor’s degree with a certificate in TESL (or any equivalent certification).
4. M.Div. with a willingness to engage in education, business, or administrative work as the context within which ministry is done.
1. Growing in knowledge and faith.
2. Functioning well in the context of a close-knit team.
3. Doing outreach from within the context of a community of faith.
4. Language acquisition to be able to share the good news clearly in the languages of this region.
Ready to learn more?
Fill out this form and a missions coach will be in touch to answer your questions and help you get started!