When I discovered videography over fifteen years ago, I discovered a new form of worship. Ever since, God has allowed me to use videography to invite others into that worship.
For the last five years I’ve worked in Guatemala in video ministry, using the production stage as an opportunity to connect with the various volunteers who assist in filming (holding microphones, lights, cameras, etc.) and invite them to weekend bible study and to church on Sunday. This ministry tends to draw youth with trauma in their backgrounds, with whom I am able to use my spiritual gifts of being a counselor and a safe person.
Video ministry also allows me to love others through listening. The act of recording someone’s story is an opportunity to look him in the eye and tell him not only that he has been heard, but that the world will hear too.
“This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.” -Psalm 34:6
“Speak out on behalf of the voiceless and for the rights of all who are vulnerable.” -Proverbs 31:8
Video ministry in Guatemala consists of three main ministry activities:
1) Freelance video and photo work/apprenticeship opportunity for a select few young Guatemalans that also doubles as discipleship opportunity
2) Production of documentary films that tackle prominent issues in Guatemala and considers the churches role in them (first topic: orphan care and adoption)
3) Weekly Bible Study and invitation to church for disciples and volunteers who help with documentary films (and anyone else!)
My video ministry seeks to follow Jesus’ example in two main areas:
1) Jesus walked intimately with 12 disciples, no more: Through training Guatemalans in photo/video production and filming documentary films with them, I get many opportunities to disciple and serve them.
2) Jesus preached to the masses: The documentary films produced will focus on what the church is doing in Guatemala. The first documentary will feature the topic of orphan care and adoption.
Finally, all ministry activities are be carried out in partnership with my home church in Guatemala, Iglesia Reforma. The task of discipleship was not designed to be done alone, and my church family in Guatemala has been a wonderful blessing to me in video ministry thus far.
Primary Prayer Request
That God will be glorified in Guatemala.
For the 375,000 orphans in Guatemala
For the documentary to be produced on orphan care and adoption.