This recipe comes all the way from TEAM missionaries in Austria. Austria is known for its wide variety of sweet desserts. This lemon and chocolate bundt cake is one of the many treats you can find in an Austrian coffee shop. Or, if you follow this recipe, you can have it right in your own home!
While you’re enjoying this dish, take some time to pray for the country of Austria. Although 82.9 percent of the country profess to be Christian in some way, shape or form, only 0.6 percent of the country is evangelical. And an estimated 356,000 people there haven’t heard the Gospel at all.
So, missionaries in Austria have their work cut out for them! And even in the midst of all of that, they took time to send us this sweet recipe. Try it out for yourselves below!
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting pan
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zested
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 10-cup fluted cake pan (or bundt pan).
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar, lemon zest and vanilla extract until pale yellow and creamy.
3. Sift flour with the baking powder and slowly stir into the egg yolk mixture alternately with the cream.
4. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold into the batter. Spoon half of the batter into another bowl.
5. In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder with the water to form a paste and gently stir into half of the batter.
6. Spoon about two-thirds of the plain batter into the prepared pan. Add all of the chocolate batter and then the remaining plain batter. Don’t worry about mixing them, as a pattern will form during the baking process.
7. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Invert onto a cake plate and let stand for several hours.
Subscribe to TEAM’s blog for more recipes from around the world — as well as reflections on missionary life, ministry ideas and exciting testimonies!