Chicken karahi became a favorite Pakistani dish with our family because we often ate it while visiting our sons at their boarding school. There was this wonderful hole-in-the-wall restaurant there which made the very best chicken karahi. You got to choose your chicken, and then they got started preparing it!
It is generally eaten with roti — a type of flatbread — and plain yogurt, in case the spices were too hot.
Here’s how to make Chicken Karahi!
See full ingredients list below.
- 12 pieces of chicken
- 2½ tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bulb garlic, minced or crushed, soaked in 1 cup boiling water
- 1½ tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 10 Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
- 5½ green chilis, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Use wok to brown chicken in cooking oil.
2. Add salt, garlic-water and ginger, and cook for several minutes.
3. Add half of the tomatoes, and let them simmer until mushy.
4. Add remaining tomatoes, green chilis and cilantros, and heat through.
5. Sprinkle with more cilantro on top and serve with flatbread.
Are you getting ready to explore a new culture through missions? Download your free, interactive guide to help you prepare!