While missionaries pour out their lives in ministry, who ministers to them?
The Timothy Network is a group of volunteers who care for the hearts of TEAM’s missionaries. Each caregiver spends several weeks a year traveling to the mission field, where they minister to missionaries through listening, encouragement, godly counsel and prayer. This heartfelt care can be critical in keeping missionaries healthy on the mission field. And because caregivers are assigned to specific regions that they’ll visit repeatedly, they get to build deep, trusting relationships.
- Missionaries benefit from regular face-to-face support, encouragement and wise counsel
- Missionary care is most effective in the context of an ongoing relationship with the caregiver
- Caregivers need specific gifts, experience, maturity and training to be effective in caring for missionaries
- Caregivers must be characterized by grace and humility
What It Involves
Timothy Network provides a safe (outside and objective) pastoral care environment. We strive to help our missionaries:
- Deal with stress and develop healthy coping skills
- Handle and resolve conflict and enhance interpersonal relationship skills
- Manage the normal stages of life in cross-cultural settings
Timothy Network caregivers have a passion for missionaries and are gifted at pastoral care through:
- Being skilled listeners
- Being wise encouragers
- Having a depth of life experience
- Demonstrating godly wisdom
We seek volunteers who have previous overseas experience, allowing them to comfortably navigate international travel and lodging.
“I hope in the Lord to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. I have no one else like him, who takes genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me.” Philippians 2:19-23 (NIV)
Paul wrote to the Philippians that he had “no one else” who was like Timothy. He commended Timothy to the church because he had proven himself. Others were less mature and more self-centered, but the Philippians knew what Timothy was like. He genuinely cared for them and had a proven track record.
Cross-cultural workers have had many types of people visit, with varying agendas. We want the Timothy Network to mean the same thing that Timothy’s name meant to the Philippians. When Paul said he was sending Timothy, they knew they were getting someone in whom they could have confidence.
TEAM has opportunities for Timothy Network personnel in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East. Talk to a missions coach today to see how you can be a missionary to missionaries!